A couple of months ago I spent an evening making a Greasemonkey app that turns postcodes into links to maps. However, I’ve been told that it doesn’t capture every single postcode – it turns out the regular expression I used for postcodes isn’t quite right (it doesn’t catch, for example, W1U 2BF). Fortunately, I managed to find this standard specification, and so I’ve been able to fix it so that it does work. Hurrah! For anyone needing a regular expression for UK postcodes in any sort of application, the following actually works properly:
(NB: This does not include the special case of the
Gibraltar Girobank postcode, GIR 0AA)
The latest version is now 0.12 – those that already have the linkifier installed should reinstall it from here.